Conference Abuse Prevention Guidelines
Find Safe Sanctuary forms in the forms area.
- Better Safe Than Sued, by Jack Crabtree. Group Publishing, Inc. 1998
- Safe Sanctuaries: Reducing the Risk of Child Abuse in the Church, by Joy Thornburg Melton. Discipleship Resources, 1998.
- Safe Sanctuaries: Reducing the Risk of Child Abuse in Youth Ministries, by Joy Thornburg Melton. Discipleship Resources, 2003.
Background Check Resources for Church Volunteers & Hired Staff
- http://www.churchvolunteercentral.com - A website maintained by Group magazine devoted to providing up-to-date resources for volunteers in the local church. Group has obtained the resources of a Kroll Background Services to provide online background checks for volunteers.
- Online Background Checking and Safe Sanctuary Training
United Methodist Volunteers in Mission volunteers and camping volunteers & hired staff are required to complete background checks with the Trak1 online process for the Conference Office. Clearances are good for three (3) years, then require renewal.
View the full Background Checking Procedure (with links to get started) here.
For help with the Trak1 online background checks contact Eddie Frutchey at (916) 374-1584 or at email@example.com.
For Youth & Camping Ministries related questions contact Kelly Newell at (916) 374-1515 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CIC Applicant Background Checks (Hirecheck)
12505 Starkey Road, Suite K
Largo FL 33703
Customers use an on-line service to check backgrounds of employees and volunteers. A variety of background checks can be obtained through Hirecheck including criminal background checks and Department of Motor Vehicles driving records. By law all applicants must give written permission to Hirecheck before a background check can be performed
- ChoicePoint On-Line Screening
An online service provided through Church Mutual (www.churchmutual.com). Most local churches in the California-Nevada Annual Conference are insured through our Unit Insurance Program. Church Mutual is the underwriter for our conference program.
Churches that are part of the Unit Insurance program can subscribe to ChoicePoint. This service provides comprehensive background checks for volunteers and paid staff. By law all applicants must give written permission to ChoicePoint before a background check can be performed.
- Safe Churches Project
A national and statewide criminal history records check service designed to protect our churches from "unsafe" personnel. Contact them toll free at (800) 687-0894 or visit the Safe Churches Project at www.safechurches.com.
- National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information 800-394-3366 http://nccanch.acf.hhs.gov/
- National Safe Kids Campaign www.safekids.org
- Christian Ministry Resources 704-821-6871
- DRU Sjodin national Sex Offender Public Website www.nsopw.gov
- You Have The Power www.yhtp.org
- Kyros - Posted guidelines, policies and samples for safe congregational ministry www.kyros.org
- Sample forms, guidelines, policies for Youth Ministry/Cyber Safety - contact CA-NV Annual Conference Youth & Camping Ministries: Kelly Newell, Director at (916) 374-1515 or email her at email@example.com.